U.S. Department of State
Office of the Spokesperson
Office of the Spokesperson
May 22, 2016
The Government of Vietnam, represented by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment of Vietnam, and the Government of the United States, represented by the Department of State, fully appreciate the need to combat global climate change, one of the greatest challenges facing humanity.
To this end, Vietnam and the United States intend to work together to:
- Implement the historic Paris Agreement. To reflect the importance of the international effort, both countries signed the Agreement on April 22, 2016, with the intention of joining as soon as possible this year;
- Transparently implement their respective Nationally Determined Contributions in line with the provisions set out in the Paris Agreement. Both countries intend to work together to promote the timely development of effective modalities, procedures, and guidelines for the Paris Agreement;
- Recognize the importance of investment decisions in the next five years, particularly in the energy and land use sector, including agriculture, in shifting to a low emission economy to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement, while maintaining economic growth;
- Welcome the importance attached to adaptation in the Paris Agreement. Vietnam is a country vulnerable to climate change, and the United States intends to support Vietnamese efforts in building resilience, reducing risk from and preparing for the impacts of climate change.
The two countries intend to work together toward an establishment of a joint partnership with the aims of:
- Building the foundation for Vietnam to meet targets set forth in its Renewable Energy Development Strategy;
- Working jointly to increase public and private investments to deploy clean, renewable, and efficient and other low greenhouse gas emissions energy sources;
- Strengthening resilience and reducing vulnerability to climate change in both the Mekong Delta and Red River Delta through regional and bilateral cooperation;
- Working jointly in supporting efforts to transition to a low emission economy by supporting the implementation of Vietnam’s Green Growth Action Plan and by enhancing capacity to implement low emission development strategies in the industrial manufacturing, transport, construction, and finance sectors;
- Contributing to regional and global efforts to transition to a low emission economy by being active members and serving in leadership positions in the Low Emission Development Strategies (LEDS) Global Partnership and Asia LEDS Platform;
- Increasing investment in low emission, climate resilient agriculture, while improving the livelihoods of small-holder farmers;
- Supporting the protection of forests and biodiversity;
- Supporting robust monitoring networks for greenhouse gas emissions and tracking mitigation actions and targets;
- Supporting coastal zone management and mangrove forests;
- Supporting the implementation of Vietnam’s National Adaptation Plan;
- Supporting disaster risk reduction efforts, coordinated disaster preparation and response, and early warning systems.
Post a Comment